A 3-year-old girl has been left with horrific chemical burns and permanent scars covering her arm – thanks to a black henna tattoo she got on vacation this year's order.
Freja Ellis was on a family break in Antalya, Turkey, when her mom Marlana, treated her to get the design at a local shop.
But shortly after arriving back in the U.K., Freja complained the cat pattern – which stretched from her wrist to her elbow – was itchy.
The design erupted in a series of painful blisters, which then became infected – leaving Freja with disfiguring scars.
“My little girl has been scarred for life after getting what I thought was a harmless black henna tattoo,” Marlana said Download the ability problem. “She has been covered in blisters and in so much pain. It’s been heartbreaking.”
MICHIGAN BOY, 12, RAKES LEAVES TO RAISE MONEY FOR GRAVESTONE OF FRIEND WHO DIED FROM CANCER
“We were entirely unaware of the dangers and want to make sure other parents know what can happen so this doesn’t affect other children,” Marlana, a nurse, said.
The 32-year-old said she had a great trip with her young daughter and her mom, Julie Ellis, and that Freja had been begging for a henna tattoo after seeing other children at the hotel with them Download The Daughters book of Kim Pharmacy.
“Freja was desperate for a henna tattoo as she’d seen older kids running around with them,” she said 프린세스 메이커3 다운로드. “I tried to put her off getting one as much as I could as I really didn’t want her to get one, but she’d been so well behaved that on the day before we left I decided to treat her.”
“We went to a nearby barbershop as they were doing henna tattoos,” she said. “Freja flicked through the book of designs and chose a cute picture of a cat sitting down. The shop seemed really clean and tidy and the man who did the tattoo even wiped Freja’s arm with an antiseptic wipe beforehand so I wasn’t too worried.”
“It took 10 minutes to complete and then we had to wait 10 minutes for it to dry – she was totally made up with it and it wasn’t until we got home that we realized there was something wrong,” she said d2nt_fix.dll.
Freja began complaining of an itching and burning sensation just days later.
“We’d been home for about three days when Freja said: ‘Mummy, my arm, it’s warm and it’s itching me. It hurts,'” Marlana, of Herne Bay, Kent, said. “I had a look, but there was nothing visible to the naked eye so I gave her some Calpol as she had a bit of a temperature and decided I’d give it until the next day to see if she’d improved.”
“But when Freja woke up the next morning, she was in tears and a nasty blister had started to appear,” she said. “She was constantly itching it and had very red, raw blisters full of fluid on her arm.”
Marlana rushed her daughter straight to the local minor injuries unit, the Queen Victoria world map.
“We saw the duty doctor and I showed him a picture of the tattoo when it had been done,” she said. “Straight away he identified it as black henna pdf of medical books. I didn’t realize it was different to any other type of henna. He explained it contains chemicals which aren’t meant to be used and told me that it’d burnt her skin.”
“I was shocked when he diagnosed it as a chemical burn,” Marlana said. “He dressed it with a wet dressing to cool it and gave her antihistamines for the itching.”
WOMAN DEAD FROM BRAIN-EATING AMOEBA AFTER USING NETI POT FILLED WITH TAP WATER, REPORT SAYS
A chemical called para-phenylenediamine, or PPD, is added to henna to make the tattoos darker and increase their lifespan. While PPD is present in many products, such as sun cream and hair dye, it is usually used in very small doses.
The addition of PPD into henna is now recognized as a public health issue, as this allergenic chemical often causes hypersensitivity reactions in children 아이엠샘 다운로드.
Three days after the initial diagnosis, Marlana took Freja back to the doctor to have her wound re-dressed as fluid was seeping through the bandages.
Freja returned a week later to be checked over and doctors discovered the wound was infected.
“Freja was given a course of antibiotics for 10 days,” Marlana said. “After she’d finished her antibiotics it was then redressed again and we were told the infection was clearing up Exyle. Now they’ve just taken off her dressings to try and get it to scab over and heal as much as possible.”
Now, Marlana wants to warn others of the danger of black henna tattoos.
“I just don’t want any other families to go through what we have,” she said. “Freja’s tattoo will most definitely scar as the burn was quite deep – hopefully it will fade in time – but it will definitely leave a mark.”
“I’d had brown henna tattoos done as a child and they were absolutely fine,” she said. “The doctor said they sometimes use black henna abroad because it’s cheaper for them to purchase. I want to make people aware because so many children have them done on holiday. Freja’s going to be scarred for life – she’ll forever have a cat on her arm.”